Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dear Lord, Grant Me a Little Bit of Patience!




My Mother has often told me that when she would have her morning devotions and prayer something interesting would always occur when she prayed for patience! Something would go "wrong" that day, among other things. . .things that try our fragile patience. This is true for me.

I am not the most patient person in the world, but I am trusting God to help me. It seems so easy to just "get upset" when things don't go "my way". My Father told me something very wise once: "If its not going your way, be sure to know that it will always go God's way!"

So, the other morning I was determined to be kinder and exercise more patience. I prayed for patience and a "meek and quiet spirit."

I was in the middle of breakfast dishes when the angry wail from my 2yr old sister sliced the air! She was cranky and mad about something. My mother corrected her and reminded her to "be happy." Minutes later however, she was crying again.

After a bit the crying began to annoy me. I looked out the kitchen window and sighed, then my eyes fell on the index card my mom had posted in the window, on it was written:

Proverbs 31:26,
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."


God sent me an idea right then and there! I quickly dried my hands and picked her up, "Katy, do you want to help me wash dishes?"

Instantly she stopped crying smiled and nodded her head. We pushed up a chair and she climbed up to "help wash the dishes."


Whatever she had previously been crying about was long forgotten and we had a great time "bonding." I am thankful that I didn't get upset and impatient with her, and instead spent some time with her. We are 17 yrs apart in age, so I want my little sister to have good memories of me when I eventually leave to start my own family someday.


My Mother smiled and turned from folding laundry,"That was a good idea! Thankyou!"
I smiled too. I have not conquered my impatience, but God is helping me! And I know that He will continue to help me!


God Bless ~Rebecca~

(Click HERE to check out Katelyn's dish washing!)

No comments: